Tuesday, 30 January 2018

How You Can Be An Active Participant In Your Child's 504 Plan ADHD

By Eric Hamilton

There are so many cases of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder among children today it almost seems like an epidemic. There are theories as to the cause, but no definitive answers. Meanwhile, kids are growing up not being able to focus mentally, behave appropriately, or interact in a meaningful way with others. Schools are required to provide education for all children. 504 plan ADHD was implemented to assist in this process.

This plan is designed to level the academic playing field for children with attention deficit disorders. Schools provide audio books, help taking notes, and extra time for test taking. In order to make sure your child gets the most out of this, you must be proactive. You need to let teachers and administrators know you want to attend planning meetings involving your little one. Don't be shy about discussing your youngster's strengths and what has worked for him in the past.

It is tempting for schools to standardize these plans because it is easier. It might be more efficient, but standard plans may not be the best solution for your kid. Every kid is different, and what works for one may not work for another. Attention deficit has many forms and each of them has to be addressed individually.

You know your kid better than anyone. As the parent you need to know what the school's plans cover. Teachers might discuss the extra, in class assistance your youngster is receiving, but say nothing about things like field trips or school assemblies where you know your little one might have difficulties. Plans should be flexible enough to incorporate specific situations like these.

Terminology can be another issue, especially if you are unfamiliar with legal documents and government bureaucracy. Many times terms are intentionally vague to give those providing services leeway when it comes to interpreting intentions. You may have to insist that administrators clearly explain, in writing, exactly which services they will provide, where and how.

When you have questions about some aspect of your kid's plan, you need to know who to ask. The classroom teacher and the school nurse may be able to help you with specific issues. The committee leader is the person you need to contact if you have questions about overall planning or when you are concerned that the agreed upon plan isn't being followed. The committee leader is the person with the ultimate responsibility for implementing the plans.

You can't just attend one meeting, check the plans, and think that is sufficient. You have to be your youngster's advocate all through the school year. You need to get to know the administrators and the teachers. You have to take the time to sit with your youngster and listen to his feedback and concerns.

Your child has a right to a quality education. If he has special challenges, and accommodations have to be made to ensure his right, so be it. As the parent, you have to be an active advocate for your child to make sure that happens.

About the Author:

No comments:

Post a Comment